1 Policy Statement
To meet the enterprise business objectives and ensure continuity of its operations, XXX shall adopt and follow well-defined and time-tested plans and procedures, to ensure protection of its network services. To support its business functions, XXX encourages the use of, and provides access to, information technologies and network resources. This enables employees to access global information resources, as well as the ability to communicate with other users worldwide. In keeping with its role and values, XXX supports the use of electronic communication for the conduct of official business and for individual professional needs.
The purpose of this policy is to protect the integrity and availability of networked services. This represents the company-wide guidelines and responsibilities required to maintain acceptable and proper use of all network resources and services. The intent of this policy is to educate users about their responsibilities regarding computing resources and services while identifying certain unacceptable uses of network resources and services.
3.1 IT Assets
This policy applies to all organizational network systems, end devices which access networks and information systems.
The documentation shall consist of Network Services Security Policy, and related procedures & guidelines. The Network Services Security Policy document and all other referenced documents shall be controlled. Version control shall be to preserve the latest release and the previous version of any document. However, the previous version of the documents shall be retained only for a period of two years for legal and knowledge preservation purpose.
Records being generated as part of the Network Services Security Policy shall be retained for a period of two years. Records shall be in hard copy or electronic media. The records shall be owned by the respective system administrators and shall be audited once a year.
3.4 Distribution and Maintenance
The Network Services Security Policy document shall be made available to all the employees covered in the scope. All the changes and new releases of this document shall be made available to the persons concerned. The maintenance responsibility of the document shall be with the CISO and system administrators.
The Network Services Security Policy document shall be considered as “confidential” and shall be made available to the concerned persons with proper access control. Subsequent changes and versions of this document shall be controlled.
The Network Services Security Policy shall be implemented by the CISO / designated personnel and network administrator.
- Courtesy and respect for rights of others.
The XXX campus community has the responsibility to foster a positive and secure campus community by respecting and valuing the right of privacy and the diversity of the population and opinion in the community. In addition, all are responsible for complying with Company policy and all laws and contracts regarding the use of information.
- Use of resources.
Users are responsible for knowing what information resources are available including those shared by the campus community. Users should refrain from all acts that waste or prevent others from using these resources. Users have a responsibility to ensure the security and integrity of the computer and network resources and services they use or access. Responsibilities include performing regular data backups, controlling physical access to information and computer equipment, using virus protection software, and keeping the virus definition file (DAT file) up to date. Responsibilities may also include updating Windows Critical Updates as requested by Computer and Information Services.
- Information integrity.
Users are responsible for the accuracy, completeness, trustworthiness, timeliness, and relevance of the data they enter into and extract from information systems. Users should not unconditionally depend on information or communications to be correct when they appear contrary to expectations. It is important to verify the integrity of the data entered into information systems because information contained on information systems may be used for reporting at a future date.
The organizational network shall be designed and configured to deliver high performance and reliability to meet the needs of the business whilst providing a high degree of access control and a range of privilege restrictions. Suitably qualified staff shall be designated to manage the organization’s network, and preserve its integrity in collaboration with the nominated individual system owners. The networks and networked services, which are allowed to be accessed, shall be clearly specified. There shall be an authorization process for determining who shall be allowed to access which networks and networked services. Unauthorized access to network connections and network services shall be minimized.
- Users shall not place confidential information on the computer’s local hard drive without protecting the information appropriately. Employee, Client and Vendor/Supplier details to be kept confidential. If you store confidential or sensitive information on your computer, you are required to take all precautionary steps to safeguard the information.
- Users are responsible for adhering to the Internal Network Equipment Policy when connecting any devices to the XXX. Devices include, but are not limited to computers, laptops, servers, routers, switches, hubs, wireless devices.
- No one shall use any Company network resources or services without proper authorization. No one shall assist in, encourage or conceal any unauthorized use or attempt at unauthorized use of any of the Company’s network resources and services.
- Use of network resources and services without permission is theft of services and is illegal under state and company law.
- Authorized use of XXX-owned or operated computing and network resources is use consistent with the academic and service missions of the Company.
- No one shall knowingly endanger the security of any network resource, nor willfully interfere with others’ authorized network usage.
- No one shall use XXX’s network resources or services to attempt unauthorized use, nor to interfere with others’ legitimate use, of any network facility anywhere.
- The ability to use a remote computer does not constitute permission.
- Users are not permitted to run software that searches for means of obtaining unauthorized access (ie. port scans, password crackers, etc.) even if the user does not plan to make unauthorized access after finding an access point.
- Users are not permitted to run software that burdens the network with unnecessary traffic or intentionally degrades the performance of the network. (i.e.. unnecessary repetitive pings and trace routes)
- No one shall connect any computer or network equipment to any of the Company’s network resources or services until the equipment has been registered with the IT Infrastructure Department. Users are responsible for adhering to the Internal Network Equipment Policy when connecting any devices to the XXX. One improperly configured computer or network device on a network can cause company-wide disruption. Devices include, but are not limited to computers, laptops, servers, routers, switches, hubs, wireless devices.
- No one without specific authorization shall use any Company network resource or service for non-Company business. By law, the Company can only provide computer resources and services for its own work, not for private use. Therefore, using Company resources or services to establish, run or support a personal and/or non-Company related business venture (e.g. via email, web site, listserv, etc.) is prohibited. Users in need of computing/printing resources for private or personal purposes, will need to contact local computer vendors for procurement options.
- No one shall create, install or knowingly distribute a computer virus or other surreptitiously destructive program on any network resource , regardless of whether any demonstrable harm results.
- File sharing software is not permitted.
Any employee found to have violated this policy may be subjected to disciplinary action in line with the HR Policy.
If you need assistance or have any doubt and need to ask any question contact me at email@example.com. You can also contribute to this discussion and I shall be happy to publish them. Your comments and suggestion are also welcome.